Argentina’s national football team, led by the legendary Lionel Messi, will not visit Kerala, state Sports Minister V Abdurahiman said on Monday. The minister had earlier insisted that the Messi-led Argentina side would visit the state as announced by the government, and that the sponsor had already paid the match fee for the event.
He told reporters on Monday that the foreign team informed them that they were facing difficulties in visiting the state in October this year, but the sponsor responded that “we are interested only in a visit in the month of October.” Abdurahiman had earlier said the team was more likely to come in October or November this year, and that they would be treated as state guests, with their security, accommodation, and other facilities provided by the government.
Messi’s potential cricket match at the Wankhede Stadium
Messi could trade his football studs for cricket spikes and instead of a football at his feet, the Argentine legend may have a cricket bat in his hand. And, if all goes to plan, it could well be Messi vs MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli at the Wankhede Stadium in a seven-a-side cricket match on December 14.
Efforts are on to finalise the logistics of the match, which may also see the likes of Sachin Tendulkar and Rohit Sharma take the field. It is learnt that a well-known event agency has requested the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) to block the ground for December 14, when Messi is expected to visit Mumbai as part of a promotional tour of India.
“Messi will be at Wankhede Stadium on December 14. He is likely to play a cricket match, too, with former and current cricketers. The organisers will come up with a complete schedule once everything is finalised,” a MCA source told The Indian Express.
(With PTI inputs)
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd