Just a few weeks into the season, Jose Mourinho has been sacked by Fenerbahce after just over a year in charge. The Turkish club took the decision two days after the club was eliminated from Champions League by Benfica.
“We have parted ways with Jose Mourinho, who served as head coach of our professional A team since the 2024-2025 season. We thank him for his efforts for our team and wish him success in his future career,” Friday’s statement from the club said.
Mourinho, who has previously managed Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Roma, headed to Istanbul in June 2024 looking to end their title drought. But the Portuguese could only manage a second place finish as Galatasaray were crowned the league champions.
As has been the case everywhere he has managed, there were plenty of controversies involving Mourinho during his stay in Istanbul. Last April, following a tense match with Galatasaray in the Turkish Cup, he ended up grabbing the face of their coach Okan Buruk and tweaking his nose. After a league match against the same opponents he criticised the Turkish referees and went on to call the fourth match referee of bias.
After a goalless draw between the two arch-rivals, Galatasaray said they would initiate criminal proceedings against Mourinho as they accused him of allegedly making racist statements. Mourinho denied the allegations, saying he is the opposite of racist. And in return, filed a lawsuit against the club seeking damages worth £41,000.
When Fenerbahce signed Mourninho, their intention was clear – to bring home the first league title since 2014 and put an end to Galatasaray’s dominance. But a year later, Mourinho leaves without a trophy and no win against their biggest rival much to the disappointment of their fans.
According to reports in England, Mourinho’s exit has put a few clubs in alert. Though he is no longer the ‘Special one’ who consistently delivered trophies, Mourinho remains a popular figure in England. There were reports that Newcastle United were interested to bring him to St James Park, but given the incredible job done by Eddie Howe, it is unlikely that the Champions League club parts way with him this early in the season.
Story continues below this ad
Last October, Mourinho said that he may be ready for a new challenge in England after years at the top. “When I leave Fenerbahce I go to a club that doesn’t play UEFA competitions. So if any club in England from the bottom of the table needs a coach in two years then I’m ready to go. And I don’t want to say anything more about it.”
© The Indian Express Pvt Ltd